Earlier this year, I heard about this guy named Will Mitchell, who is one of the major players in the Belize real estate market.
Now – why Belize, of all places? Why are we talking about this?
Well… I’ve always been curious about what’s involved with investing in real estate outside of the U.S. Not just about Belize per se, but I think Belize is an interesting illustration of how differently things work in other parts of the world (in some ways that make the business easier for real estate investors, and in some ways that make it harder).
- Belize (and many countries) doesn’t have an MLS system. Most deals happen by word of mouth.
- Getting conventional bank financing is NOT something that happens in the regular course of business in Belize. Most deals will only happen if the buyer can pay all cash, if the seller will finance it, or if some intermediary (other than a bank) is willing to finance the transaction.
- Direct mail marketing (which is a major source of our deals in the U.S.) is also not a thing in Belize. There isn’t nearly the same kind of public access to property ownership data, which makes this approach pretty unfeasible in almost every scenario.
Not to mention – there are a lot of other things to think about when you start working under a different government, with different tax laws, different values, different languages and more.
The United States is just a small sliver of all the real estate in the world and through this interview, I hope we can all become more aware of the opportunities that exist outside of our country.
Links and Resources
- Will’s YouTube Channel
- The Investor’s Guide to Belize Real Estate by Will Mitchell
- I Just Bought A Coffee Farm in Panama
- House Hacking: The Official Guide On How to Live (Almost) Mortgage Free
- Million Dollar Postcard Templates That Work
Thanks for Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comments section below.
- Share this episode on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn (social sharing buttons below!)
Help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes Your ratings and reviews really help (and I read each one).
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on Stitcher
Thanks again for joining me this week. Until next time!
Need Help In Your Land Business?
When you're getting started in a new business venture like buying and selling vacant land, there are a lot of things to learn about how to find deals, research properties and get them sold quickly for a profit.
A mentoring relationship isn't always necessary for everyone to get started. Some people have everything it takes to figure it out on their own. It's not a question of whether they'll succeed… it’s just a matter of how long it will take to get there.
This is where a good coach and mentor can be a game-changer because they can shave a significant amount of time off your learning curve, which can have an invaluable impact on your business and life - getting you to your financial goals much faster.
If you want to jump start your business and significantly shorten your learning curve, we can help with that!
For a limited time, we are accepting new coaching clients in our land education program. Submit your application here if you're interested!