Over the past year, I’ve become a lot more interested in finding legitimate ways to create sources of income from vacant land that are truly passive.
Now, to the average real estate investor, the words “passive income” and “vacant land” do NOT go together, but if you know where to look and how to find these kinds of properties, there are actually a lot of opportunities out there.
One such opportunity is to invest in land that is leased out to the owner of a wind farm development.
Essentially, the landowner can earn revenue from the lease (which typically lasts for 35 years or longer) and collect a small percentage of the royalties from the energy that is generated and sent into the power grid.
Depending on the size of the wind farm project, it’s not uncommon for these leases and royalties to produce anywhere from $20,000 – $50,000 for the landowner. And the landowner doesn’t have to do anything. They simply own the dirt and collect the money each year.
Sounds pretty simple, right?
Well… there’s A LOT more to the story. In this episode – I talk with Tao Kong (COO of Alcen Renewable) and we uncover a lot of the details behind how wind energy leases work, what kinds of properties make the most sense for this type of development, what markets make the most sense to start looking in (and which ones to avoid), and a lot more.
This was one of the most interesting conversations I’ve had in a long time, and if you have any interest in passive income, land investing or renewable energy, I think you’ll enjoy it too.
Links and Resources
- Alcen Renewable’s Website
- Check out Alcen Renewable on Instagram
- Meet the 28-Year-Old Who is Building Utility-Scale Renewable Energy Projects
- Curious about which states have Renewable Portfolio Standards (RPS) or Voluntary Targets? Check out this map for more info.
- Want to see which areas of the country have the best wind velocity? Refer to the Wind Prospector to find some of the prime areas around the country.
- See the total number of megawatts installed in each state on the WINDExchange.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger’s take on coal energy
- Some perspective on HOW BIG wind turbines can be
Thanks for Listening!
Share your thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comments section below.
- Share this episode on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn (social sharing buttons below!)
Help out the show:
- Leave an honest review on iTunes Your ratings and reviews really help (and I read each one).
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Subscribe on Stitcher
Thanks again for joining me this week. Until next time!
Need Help In Your Land Business?
When you're getting started in a new business venture like buying and selling vacant land, there are a lot of things to learn about how to find deals, research properties and get them sold quickly for a profit.
A mentoring relationship isn't always necessary for everyone to get started. Some people have everything it takes to figure it out on their own. It's not a question of whether they'll succeed… it’s just a matter of how long it will take to get there.
This is where a good coach and mentor can be a game-changer because they can shave a significant amount of time off your learning curve, which can have an invaluable impact on your business and life - getting you to your financial goals much faster.
If you want to jump start your business and significantly shorten your learning curve, we can help with that!
For a limited time, we are accepting new coaching clients in our land education program. Submit your application here if you're interested!